STATEMENT OF QUALIFICATIONS
•  Advise all city officials, including mayor, council and council clerk, administrative officer, finance director, planning and zoning department staff, planning and zoning commission, board of zoning appeals, building department, civil service commission (civil service municipality), police, fire and service departments on all legal issues. (Legislative procedure, elections law, public bidding, contracts, public records, employment, etc.)
•  Attend all meetings of council, prepare all legislation, review proposed changes to zoning code and codified ordinances, attend meetings of planning commission and board of zoning appeals when requested.
•  Enforced zoning and building department regulations through the initiation of litigation in Summit County Court of Common Pleas, and defended administrative appeals in Court of Common Pleas.
•  Draft or review bid documents and public contracts, pursue and defend litigation related to contractual obligations, monitor litigation handled by insurance counsel.
•  Prepare biennial opinion to State Auditor regarding city liabilities.
•  Chief legal advisor to Olmstead Township. Attended all meeting of the Township Trustees and the planning commission and board of zoning appeals when requested.
Advised the trustees, township clerk, zoning and building department personnel, police and fire department personnel on all legal issues. Reviewed public contracts and bidding documents.
Pursued enforcement of zoning laws and building department regulations in Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas. Defended administrative appeals in Court of Common Pleas.
•  Advisor to county officials on a variety of matters, including compliance with Fair Labor Standards Act, HIPPA, elections law, Sheriff's department personnel actions under collective bargaining, negotiation of intergovernmental agreements, property acquisition, public records compliance, taxation, statutory interpretation, etc. County clients included County Commissioners, County Administrator, Sheriff's Department, County Auditor, County Engineer, County Planning Commission, Probate Court, and individual judges of the Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas.
•  Primary responsibility for selected litigation involving the County or County Officials in the Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas and in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio.
•  April 1992 through May 1999 — Civil Division. Advised county and township officials and agencies, including commissioners, sheriff, auditor, recorder, treasurer, highway engineer, sanitary engineer, planning commission, health district, building department, alcohol drug addiction and mental health board, department of human services, board of mental retardation and developmental disabilities, Medina County District Library, and 17 townships in Medina County in a broad range of legal settings, including:
1. Personnel. — Advised on hiring, discipline, firing, work force reduction (handled federal court case regarding alleged violation of FSLA), Personnel Board of Review, discrimination and sexual harassment (before the Ohio Civil Rights Commission and the EEOC), grievance resolution, and some dispute resolution under collective bargaining agreements.
2. Contracts and public improvements. — Advised all county agencies and Medina County townships on compliance with the public bidding process, defended the commissioners and the auditor in several lawsuits challenging the awarding of public bids, handled land acquisition (including land appropriation), negotiated with contractors regarding disputes on public improvements (including building construction, road improvements and computer hardware and software system purchases and implementation).
3. Zoning and public policy. — Assisted townships in writing and interpreting their zoning codes, and defended those codes in litigation. Assisted all public entities to adopt and implement policies and practices that comply with statutory and constitutional authority. I was a member of the county data board and I was chairman of the county's safety committee for several years.
4. Miscellaneous litigation. — Presently handling a wrongful adoption case against the department of human services, have been responsible for real estate tax foreclosures and personal property tax collection for about six year, and through the past six years have handled miscellaneous subrogation claims, due process litigation, and other matters as they come up.
5. Office administration. -- Implemented time saving procedures in child support enforcement, juvenile prosecution, tax collection and the general civil division of the prosecutor's office. Obtained and implemented a computer automation grant for the office, continue to develop computer applications, and serve as a computer network administrator.
•  Mayor, Village of Richfield — January 2004 through present. Responsible to oversee all administrative functions, negotiated police and fire agreements with Richfield Township, JEDD agreement with township and City of Cleveland, several significant public works projects, collective bargaining (first contract), budgetary proposals to council, grant applications for public works and property acquisition under the Clean Ohio funding program, many zoning and land use issues, extension of public utilities, etc.
•  Fourth term on Richfield Village Council — January 2002 through December 2003 (served two years of a four year term until I took office as Mayor). President of Council in 2003.
•  Third term on Richfield Village Council — January 1998 through December 2001. Served a full four-year term, and I was president of Council all four years.
•  Member of Planning and Zoning Commission — January 1996 through December 1997. Appointed by Mayor Don Larsen.
•  Second term on Richfield Village Council — January 1991 through December 1995. During the second half of this term I was Council's representative to the Planning Commission, from January 1993 through December 1994.
•  First term on Richfield Village Council — January 1987 through December 1990.
Michael Lyons, 3300 Broadview Rd., Richfield, OH
Questions or comments about this web site should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Copyright © 2015 Michael Lyons
Paid for by Committee to Elect Mike Lyons, Barbara Lanford, Treasurer, 3390 Logwood Trail, Richfield, Ohio 44286.